Saturday, January 29, 2011

Pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!

Who says that Disneyland is the happiest place on earth. When it comes to VW's, this place hands down is the best place - Wolfsberg West in California. It is THE place for VW enthusiasts for all restoration parts.

Took the opportunity to stock up on much need parts while I visited LA. Removed the original rubber from the entire bus as this had hardened over time and was cracked and split. Have replaced most of the external rubber apart from a few rear light seals which I forgot to pick up when in the States. Switched out a few chrome bits that are pitted and dull like the aerial, headlight surrounds and a new set of fried egg blinkers. Will source a new emblem when I look at buying some additional parts..... it is amazing as you start to dig around just how much comes up that needs to be replaced. Years of dirt and grime hide a lot of problems.

Also decided to replace all the pop out window frames and will also add pop outs to the two fixed side windows. I know this is straying from the path of restoring to stock but I have seen a few bus with pop outs all around and safaris and I kinda like the look.

Followers